Croydon Neighbourhood Care Association
Croydon Neighbourhood Care is an Umbrella charity, working to meet the needs of isolated, vulnerable and frail people within the borough. We support local Neighbourhood Care Associations (our member groups) and provide services and advice to adults within Croydon. Our principal objective is to promote, support and develop local Neighbourhood Care Schemes to continue to provide preventative services to the community through best practice, training and development.
- 22 January 2019
- Care, Membership organisation
- Local Alliances:
- Croydon Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
As an organisation that works with people living with dementia and their carers, via our befriending service, our staff are committed to supporting these people.
To work in partnership with other agencies to continue providing person-centred support to people living with dementia and their carers.
To promote the well-being, independence, self-determination and dignity of people living with dementia.
To champion people living with dementia to help them access the services they need as and when they want to.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Currently we are one of the only bespoke befriending/support services who can accommodate people with a diagnosis of dementia and the challenge is managing the volume of referrals.
Preserve the existing bespoke befriending/support service and look at expanding it
Evaluation with a view to expansion.
Demonstrate a compelling business case to local authority to continue to support this essential work. Look at the viability around working with any other agencies engaged in similar work, and work together to support the most vulnerable people.
- Case study, Delivered, Implementation, Planning
Dementia Friends Awareness sessions for all member organisations and colleagues at CNCA.
- Ensure that all colleagues (and trustees) at CNCA have completed a session and any new staff are inducted
- Member organisations – offer dementia friend awareness session to them and referring them to join Croydon Dementia Action Alliance
To set up a membership wide working group to reflect on existing practice and identify areas for improvement in relation to members work with people with dementia.
To compile a calendar of dementia friendly events.
To compile a folder of shared resources to refer to in our information, advice and outreach work.
To escalate the findings of our work with people living with dementia to our senior management team to shape our policies in regard good working practice.
This work will align with the wider work being completed by the Croydon Dementia Action Alliance.