Memory Asssessment Service
Providers of Mental Health Care Services within Sussex area. Specifically I work for the Memory assessment service which is a Dementia Diagnostic service designed to diagnose accurately and early help clients access the treatment, support and advice they need to stay well and live independently for as long as possible.
- 14 March 2019
- South East
- Care, Health, Medical
- Local Alliances:
- Haywards Heath Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Although most referrals come directly from a GP or other GP surgery staff (such as Nurse Practitioners), other health and social care professionals who have seen you can also refer to us. This includes hospital staff such as DOME (Department of Medicine for the Elderly) or Neurology (Parkinson’s disease clinics).
Anyone diagnosed with a dementia through the MAS will be contacted by a Dementia Advisor from the Alzheimer’s Society. They often run clinics alongside the doctors so you have the opportunity to see them straight after your MAS appointment. In the event that a clinic is not running that day or you are seen at home by the MAS doctor then the Dementia Advisor will contact you as soon as possible afterwards. You will also be assigned a Dementia Support Worker by the Alzheimer's Society, who will provide support to any carers or relatives involved with you.
MAS also run an extensive group programme. Some, such as the Information Session – Understanding Dementia, are open to both the patient and their carer to attend. Others, such as the Cognitive Stimulation Group and Living Well With Dementia group, are only for the person with dementia.
In the event that medication is required the MAS doctor or a Nurse Prescriber will provide you with a three month prescription and you will be reviewed during that period. Once you are stabilised on your medication you will be discharged back to the care of your GP.
Sussex Partnership is committed to improving the way we work with carers. We are a member of Triangle of Care and this page contains useful information and resources to help you if you are caring for someone with dementia.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Improving uptake of initial memory assessments and encouraging clients and carers to engage in services post diagnosis to improve awareness and coping strategies and reduce the risk of crisis or carer stress
Memory Assessment Actions
1. We aim to provide a timely and efficient diagnostic service which will meet the demands of the service user. We will endevour to be person centred, transparent and responsive to the needs of the carer/family.
2. Within our service our dementia Champion will run Dementia Friends session to improve awareness of dementia within our local community.
3. We will support HHDAA with attending events, promoting the alliance and our service and how people can access assessment for Dementia and support and help.