S.T.A.R.S Day Centre
We are a family run day centre, catering for the elderly, those with dementia and those who are experiencing social isolation. We provide a home away from home, lunch and activities throughout the day.
- 7 September 2018
- West Midlands
- Social Care
- Local Alliances:
- Worcester Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Locally we provide support to carers and those looking after a loved one with dementia.
We provide care across the spectrum (including personal care) and integrated care (domiciliary and transport etc).
We pride ourselves on providing person centred care that is flexible, ad hoc or drop-in if needed.
Our activities provide physical, social and cognitive stimulation.
We are open 5 days a week, provide food and drink and bespoke care packages are available if necessary.
Nationally, we believe that our model of care should be the standard, as it not only effectively supports carers but provides those with dementia with specialised, integrated care that appropriately meets their needs.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
We find that the following are some of the biggest challenges to providing these outcomes:
- Funding: there seems to be little funding available to run a day centre and for those attending day centres.
- Awareness: clients and their carers seem unaware that this service exists or the benefits of attending this service.
Nationally, there seems to be a lack of awareness that even with advanced stage dementia it is possible to enhance quality of life.
Flexible care: No contracts, no set days or times.
We offer person centred and bespoke care. We know our clients very well and can fufil their needs because of this.
We offer intergrated care (domiciliary, day care + transport) across all stages and all needs.
We offer personal care at all levels.
Cognitive, social and physical stimulation.
We offer activities that cover both cognitive, physical and social stimulation.
All of our staff are trained to high standards in all areas related to dementia care.
- Being implemented