Citizens Advice South Warwickshire
General advice services for people of the South Warwickshire area on all subject areas. Specialist debt advice. Specialist housing advice in the area of Stratford District. Outreach services. Research and campaigns work.
- 1 October 2018
- West Midlands
- Voluntary Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Coventry and Warwickshire Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- To give maximum support to those with dementia and their carers.
- To develop interview skills / advice re. dementia.
- Build community awareness that CA provides help and support for people with dementia and their carers.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Tend to meet carers more rather than people with dementia.
- Overcome people’s reluctance to approach us for advice / help via advertising through public spaces (surgeries, hospitals, day / community centres, etc.)
Familarisation with support networks
- Make sure we have leaflets and appropriate documentation and training. Put leaflets in Reception re support/raising awareness of dementia.
- Improve resource library to include dementia.
- Build dementia awareness into standard training system.
Signposting and promoting awareness of dementia
- Refer people to support networks.
- Better signposting of dementia support services to clients.
- Promoting Dementia Awareness – what it is and what support is available.
- Tag on casebook (or some other way) to identify clients with dementia.
Find out more about benefits for people with dementia and their carers. Consider communication needs of people with dementia. Promote awareness of membership of DAA to clients / funders / staff / volunteers.
- Find out more about allowances for carers, people with dementia (carers, attendance, PIP)
- Tailor communication with people who have dementia / carers to their needs.
- Make it known to clients, funders, community that we are part of DAA and can offer support / understanding re. form filling (re. PIP, AA)
2018 - Second Quarter Update