Freedom Leisure – Malvern
Freedom Leisure is committed to providing and developing inclusive leisure facilities for everyone. Delivering a service on behalf of the Malvern Hills District. Working with local and national initiatives, to inspire the collective residents of the Malvern Hills District to lead healthier lifestyles, through increasing physical activity levels. Using consultation and research active communities strives to improve the offer of low cost, accessible physical activity opportunities. Encouraging all ages to be active, no matter their barriers.
- 15 May 2018
- West Midlands
- Local Alliances:
- Worcestershire Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Freedom Leisure Malvern looks to provide accessible facilities to all, including those with dementia. Working with the local Dementia Action Alliance group, Freedom Leisure aim to ensure both Malvern Splash and Sport Dyson Perrins become accredited dementia friendly facilities within 2018.
Thus allowing a greater number of residents affected by dementia to be physically active, supporting them to achieve the wider benefits of exercise – such as; Reducing the risk of vascular dementia, and positively impacting on non-vascular dementia.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Staff not understanding the barriers of dementia
- Facility not being physically suitable for those affected by dementia
- Atmosphere of facility being boisterous and busy
- Financial barriers to carers and participants
Provide all facility staff with dementia friends sessionsEnsure that all staff understands the barriers of dementia and the support they should be able to give when supporting a customer with additional needs. Ensure all staff understands the most suitable way to offer said support. Round 1 of staff sessions has been completed, more rounds to follow. Promote the online learning course to staff in addition to hosting the sessions.
Become a dementia friendly facility
Using the facility check list, Freedom Leisure Malvern will be making adjustments to the physical layout of the buildings.
- Freedom leisure Malvern will be reviewing their lighting in certain areas to avoid shadows where possible.
- New lighting has been added to the changing areas
- Disability and group changing will be available for carers to support clients with dementia where needed.
- Freedom Leisure Malvern has ensure all signage is printed clearly on a plain background
- Freedom Leisure Malvern will review the level at which signage is presented
- Freedom Leisure Malvern will look to remove all dark surface matting.
Freedom Leisure will offer dementia focussed sessions
Malvern Splash will look to host monthly café and exercise sessions promoted for those with dementia and carers. Sessions will be offered at quiet times with the centre to avoid loud and boisterous atmosphere.
Centre staff will be on hand to offer clear tours to changing rooms, and support with lockers.
- Initial Scoping
Carers attend freeFreedom leisure Malvern will ensure that all carers can partake in activities for free, when attending with their client.