All Saints Darton
A Christian faith organisation, diverse & inclusive. We encourage participation in all aspects of the Christian faith with regular services, social events, group meetings, concerts & pilgrimage. It is open to all, with links to local schools, youth groups & other organisations.
- 25 February 2018
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Faith Groups
- Local Alliances:
- Barnsley Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We already provide a friendly & supportive welcome at the door to all who attend church. We have printed pew sheets for clarity & navigation through the services & these are available in large print. We intend to try & improve access into the Church as well as signage. We will invite a speaker from the DAA to the Mothers' Union to create an awareness & understanding of dementia & encourage individuals to become dementia friends. We will encourage participation in acts of faith & in the social calendar for those with dementia & their carers by holding dementia friendly services & providing educational information with a directory of support groups & contacts.We will include information about dementia at community events. We will take part in Liveability's dementia-friendly church initiatives. We will publish our commitments & progress in the Church magazine & on the website.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
1. A listed building with challenging main-door access but there is a side entrance.
2. Limited finacial resources.
3. There is generally a lack of knowledge/understaning of dementia.
The Mother's Union will hold an open meeting with a guest speaker from the DAA.
Include information about dementia at community events.
Encourage individuals to become dementia friends at meetings within the community by providing information.
Make the Church environment more dementia friendly
Improve main door access by installing hand rails.
Improve signage with clear indications to toilet, kitchen, exit etc
Provide a directory of relevant support groups & contacts which can be accessed by carers & the community to give information both locally & nationally about aspects of dementia.
Publish our commitments & progress in the Church magazine & on our website.