City College Norwich
City College Norwich has been providing its local community and the employers of Norfolk with vocational education and training, including apprenticeships, as well as academic, professional and higher education, for over 125 years. Today the college has more than 10,000 full- and part-time students. Rated as Good by Ofsted, the College provides excellent preparation for students' career development and progression. The College has a long-established role in training Norfolk’s future health and social care workforce, as well as supporting the professional development of those already in the sector. With the support of its employer partners, City College Norwich offers work-related pathways into all areas of health and social care - through full-time courses for 16-18 year olds, Apprenticeships and degrees.
- 2 November 2017
- East of England
- Children Young People and Students
- Local Alliances:
- Norwich City Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
1)To create a number of Dementia Champions that will deliver Dementia friend sessions to students and staff across college
2) To use the health and social Care placements to promote activities/support that can be accessed by those living with Dementia and their families/carers (Students attend placement weekly in Day centres/residential care and home care)
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
1) Finding appropriate times to deliver across the college and fit in with other students and their timetabling
2) Students lacking the confidence to give information over to service users/staff in their placement
create Dementia Champions
Book students onto the Dementia Champion trianing with Alzheimers Society
Deliver Dementia Friend Sessions
Advertise and liaise with other tutors and CPD planners to deliver Dementia Friend sessions to other students and staff
Information sharing within Health and Social Care Placements
Recieve and pass on information that will offer support and ideas to those living with dementia and their families/carers. Students will promote this information by using noticeboards and giving information to staff when they attend their placements ijn nursing/residential homes, day centres and home care.