Frame Den Ltd
We are an artwork company based in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire. We offer a full artwork consultancy service, for social housing providers, care homes and the hospitality sector and other commercial clients. Our service covers design, selection, scheduling, sourcing, framing and installation.
- 29 June 2017
- East of England
- Local Alliances:
- Luton Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We will ensure that good practice in dementia-friendly design forms the basis of the artwork we produce for the communal areas in projects both locally and nationally. We will aim to ensure our artwork provides meaningful reminiscence opportunities to support a sense of civic/community belonging. To help provide a supportive environment in care homes, we will use artwork as visual clues to aid wayfinding and orientation.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
We usually control artwork choices in care settings but where this isn’t the case clients are sometimes unaware that artwork is either dementia-friendly or unfriendly. We will work with them to help them understand these characteristics, thereby building their awareness of the nature of providing dementia-friendly environments.
Develop Team Awareness
- Arrange a DAA briefing for our design and production team
- Encourage the team to take an active interest in further developing their awareness of dementia
Increase Client Awareness
- Encourage clients to include dementia friendly artwork in communal areas
- Provide examples of good practice in dementia-friendly artwork selection
- Offer a support service to enable clients to make dementia-friendly choices
Produce Dementia-Friendly Artwork Schedules
- Include distinctive key pieces of artwork that will assist with wayfinding
- Use DSDC Design for Dementia guidelines to develop our artwork
- Source suitable frames and mounts to provide the correct levels of contrast
Increase Dementia Awareness via Social Media
- Use our Twitter account (@Frame_Den) to share examples of good practise in artwork
- Support others’ efforts to raise dementia awareness by regularly sharing relevant tweets.