We are an emergency service who work to help keep people from harm. We have our Disability Access Services which helps assist people with disabilities to contact the force. We also have our Keep Safe card, more details can be found here: www.keepsafenorthants.org
- 12 July 2017
- East Midlands
- Emergency Services Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Northamptonshire Dementia Action Alliance , Northampton Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Northamptonshire Police are responsible for keeping everyone, living in and travelling through the county of Northamptonshire, from harm.
We are a member of the National Disabled Poilce Association (NDPA) and the National Police Autistic Association (NPAA). Through both of these organisations we learn and share best practice with other Police Forces around the country on how to take a more active role within our communites.
Through the use of our Keep Safe Card, we now have funding from the OPCC to develop more partnership working with other organsiations acroos the county including the Dementia Action Alliance.
We are also currently looking at incorporating the Herbert Protocal into the Keep Safe card scheme.
We are also working with the Alzheimers Society to sign up to their Emergency Services Scheme.
Northants Police have employment polices which support our staff if they are disabled or are a carer. We recognise our legal duty as an employer and through our Carers Policy, Disability Leave Policy and Disability Sickness Policy, will always consider flexible working reqeusts as well as identify the need for any necessary reasonable adjustments requried to support our staff.
We also have Disability Confident - Employer Status.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
1) The Partners would be responsible for the management of their own data and the issuing of cards.
Partners will also have to annually audit their dataFunding towards any costs
2) We are currently undergoing partnership reviews with other forces where we can work in
3) Staff turnover at Keep Safe Places, will mean more training will be required
Raise awareness with Keep Safe partners
We will work with our existing Keep Safe Places partners to raise awareness of the needs of people with Dementia and those who support them
2017 - Third Quarter Update