Millbrook healthcare CES and WCS - Private Company subcontracted by the NHS to deliver hospital equipment into the community and fit adaptions to promote independent living. The wheelchair services carry out assessment for basic wheelchairs all the way through to specialist seating and buggies/prams.
- 28 July 2020
- South West
- Health, Hospitals and Hospital Trusts, Schools
- Local Alliances:
- Plymouth Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We have one Dementia Champion within the local depot who has delivered the dementia friends information session to each member of staff within Plymouth depot. Each staff member has committed to an action that they will carry forward. On feedback from staff they have reported they will be more patient with Dementia patients and be cautious of language used i.e.- not wondering around but walking around, not aggressive but frustrated.
We have also invited our wheelchair user group to attend a dementia friends information session as they regularly support our patients in the community.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The clinical team on the Wheelchair services has a good understanding of dementia and often work along side dementia patients or patients' relatives who have dementia. However, for the community equipment team, although they have commonly come across people with dementia in the community they are not aware of the medical/clinical side to dementia and therefor may benefit from refresher information sessions. Their knowledge may not be as in- depth as the therapists - However, each person took away useful information which they can carry forward to improve the quality of their work.
Dementia Friendly Promotion
1. To ensure that all staff within our Plymouth depot have attended the dementia friends information session.
To raise awareness of dementia and local support groups
To promote awareness of dementia and local support groups on our advertisment board.
- Being implemented
External contractors / User group dementia Friends
To invite our user groups and external contractors to attend dementia friends awareness sessions - therefore ensuring that people who work alongside us also have an understanding of dementia.
- Being implemented