The View Community Cafe is a non-profit social enterprise that provides work experience for young people with learning disabilities. We are an inclusive project that is open the the whole community and we run events and fundraising for other organisations including our local dementia action group. We would like to train our staff and become a dementia friendly cafe so that we can better cater for people with dementia and be able to help others learn more.
- 11 July 2017
- South East
- Businesses and shops, Charity, Education Sector, Voluntary
- Local Alliances:
- Dementia Friendly Southampton (Southampton DAA)
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We would like all staff to understand the needs of people with dementia, we would also like to establish activities and groups aimed at people with dementia that help reduce social isolation and allow people with dementia to be involved in the project and enjoy social events.
For example we did a small christmas fundraiser meal in aid of Burseldon Hamble and Hound Dementia action Group, and we are also collecting 'twiddle muffs' from local people to be distributed to people with dementia at the dementia friendly Valentines tea dance in February.
We had a presentation from the Memory Box Project at the event and are organising another reminiscing session in the future both here and at one of our other establishments.
We have hosted one of the Dementia Action Group meetings at the cafe and attend them whenever we can. We would like to help organise more events for those with dementia in the future.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
We would like to provide training to our staff regarding dementia and how to make our place of work a more suitable place for people with dementia. We would also like to continue fundraising and helping our local dementia action group when we can. We will be doing more fundraising events in the future for the local DAG and hopefully more sessions with the Memory Box project. It would greatly help if all staff fully understood the issues around dementia to better explain what we are doing to others and encourage people to volunteer, donate and spread awareness.
We are primarily here to help educate the students when they are here, however as a community based project we also organise and run events to reach out to vulnerable members of society and widen the scope of what we do based on the time and resources we have.
Educate all staff and volunteers about the needs of those with dementia
-Provide training to all staff and volunteers about the needs of people with dementia
-Ensure refresher training is provided when needed.
-Ensure staff and volunteers understand the importance of spreading awareness and acting positively to include people with dementia in our community events
- Being implemented
Fundraise for our local Dementia Action Group
-To run at lease one event per year to raise money for our local dementia action group
-To ensure people donating money or attending events are able to access information or signposted to further support they may need.
- To ensure any fundraising or activities is accessible to people with dementia and their families.
- Being implemented
Provide dementia friendly activities at the cafe
- Run activities and social groups to encourage people with dementia to socialise and get involved
- To make sure people with dementia are considered when organising events to ensure they are not excluded
- To actively seek out individuals with dementia and their families in order to let them know about the activities we are offering.
- Being implemented