Manchester Camerata is one of the UK's leading chamber orchestras, renowned for innovative performances and collaborations. Its 'Camerata in the Community' programme works with over 24,000 people each year, including people with dementia and their carers, across the North.
- 24 April 2019
- North West
- Arts, Charity, Children Young People and Students, Community organisations, Education Sector, Health, Schools, Social Care, Voluntary, Voluntary Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Tameside and Glossop Dementia Action Alliance, Salford Dementia Action Alliance , Bury Dementia Action Alliance, Trafford Dementia Action Alliance, Oldham Dementia Action Alliance , Wigan Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We are using music therapy and musical composition techniques to help people with dementia to communicate and to stimulate emotional and physical responses. The music sessions we run aim to improve mood and relationships with others and also decrease agitation, which we hope will lead to reduced medication use for some participants. We currently run sessions in Manchester, Salford, Rochdale, Tameside and Bolton, and hope to continue to expand this in the future if we are successfull in achieving more funding.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- When working in care homes, it is sometimes hard to get care staff to commit to attending the sessions once a week. Care homes are usually under-staffed and feel that our session is a break for them, rather than realising that our musicians are not trained to be the only 'carer' in the room
- Funding constraints: funders would like us to work with as many people with dementia as we can, rather than understanding that our preson-centered approach means we can only work with around 10 people at any one time