Age UK Wirral
We are a local and independent Brand Partner of Age UK, working across the Borough of Wirral to provide a wide range of services, activities and interventions, primarily to older people, that make a positive difference to later life. Our work includes dementia support services, befriending, gardening and odd jobs, active age, residential care home, lunch clubs, home from hospital support, counselling, information and advice, welfare benefits, campaigning, community development and much more.
- 16 January 2017
- North West
- Care, Charity, Community organisations, Domiciliary Care, Health, Local Authorities, Local DAA Members, Retail, Social Care, Voluntary Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Wirral DAA
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Age UK Wirral's role includes:
- Awareness raising / training of staff, volunteers, customers, clients and the general public
- Shaping the practice of our staff, volunteers and stakeholders and influencing service provision
- Sharing our experience and learning from others
Ensuring that all of our services and activities are as inclusive of people with dementia as possible
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Some of the challenges to delivering these outcomes include:
- Funding & resources
- Extending the specific knowledge within our specialist dementia services across our generic services
- How to ensure that other clients and customers within services and activities are dementia friendly
Making our shops dementia friendly
Our Charity Shops are a gateway into our range of services and activities. We will undertake to ensure that all of our shop staff and volunteers have undertaken dementia awareness training by December 2017, and will undertake an audit of shop design to ensure that our retail units are dementia friendly spaces.
Dementia Friendly Workforce
Age UK Wirral has a workforce of over 700 staff and volunteers, many of whom are already dementia friends. Through this action, we are committed to supporting another 100 staff and volunteers to become dementia friends by December 2017.
Navigation around our buildings
We use dementia friendly signage within all of our dementia services. Through this action, we will extend dementia friendly signage across the entire of our three main sites - Meadowcroft Community Wellbeing Hub, Wirral Point & Devonshire Resource Centre.
Services & activities
We have identified the need for some post diagnostic peer support groups, both for people with dementia and their carers. In addition, a number of people living with dementia and their carers have asked us about dementia friendly physical and leisure activities, including those which they can take part in together. Through this action, we will scope the feasibility of establishing peer support groups and a programme of dementia friendly activities.
- Initial Scoping
Positive Dementia in the Community
Within Meadowcroft Community Wellbeing Hub, we have a number of specific dementia support services co-located and integrated with other community services. We will undertake an awareness campaign targetted at the general public who use Meadowcroft to ensure that everyone using the building has a positive and inclusive approach towards dementia.