Carlisle Support Services
We provide facilities management services, mainly in cleaning, security, events and retail merchandising. We are a UK wide business and focus on the transport, retail, healthcare, leisure, public sector and education sectors.
- 5 January 2017
- East of England
- Businesses and shops
- Local Alliances:
- Luton Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Our business is very customer facing, we work with retailers, events organisers, rail companies and many public sector clients. Therefore our people will come into contact with people with Dementia on a daily basis and we believe that by giving our people the right knowledge we can help improve the way people live their lives with Dementia and shape our services to do this.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Giving people the knowledge and keeping them on track, we will do this through creating more Dementia friends, using both classroom and on line training and through our internal comms system continually promote the work we need to do.
Improve dementia awareness
Hold a Dementia Friends Information Session to our senior management team on 15th December ’16.
Register our organisation as a Dementia Friends partner https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/register-partner
Contact the Dementia Friends team to arrange linking the Dementia Friends information videos to our LMS system mailto:DForgs@alzheimers.org.uk
- For all employees who want to understand a little more about dementia.
On the phone
- For employees who often take calls from the public, helping them with queries.
- For employees who work on public transport and help passengers get from A to B.
Paying for things
- For employees who regularly take payment from customers, particularly in a retail environment.
Reading & writing
- For employees who provide forms and accept forms from the public.
Becoming a Dementia Friend
Support any of our employees who wish to volunteer as a Dementia Friends Champion to attend a one day induction course to enable them to then deliver the one hour Dementia Friends Information Session to their colleagues and community.
They can register their interest to be a Dementia Friends Champion here:
Enable our employees to access this guide:
- Being implemented
Become a Dementia Friendly employer
Review our HR policies and procedures to ensure we can offer individualised appropriate support to our employees who may be supporting family members with a dementia diagnosis or our employees that might be affected by dementia themselves.
We will refer to the following guides.
Promote national and local support services to our employees who may be affected by dementia or caring for a family member affected by dementia.
- If you have concerns about Alzheimer's disease or about any other form of dementia, Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline on 0300 222 1122
- For local support services in Luton please contact the Alzheimer’s Society Luton office on 01582 470910
- For online support http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk
- Initial Scoping
Promote the Luton DAA and our initiatives to make a difference for those affected by dementia
Use our existing business networks and relationships to spread the word about our initiatives and the work of Luton Dementia Action Alliance.
Aim to involve awareness initiatives into our corporate events where possible.