Roman Catholic Parish of The Holy Family and St John the Apostle
Our parish serves the Catholic communities of Sundon Park and Marsh Farm in North Luton from our two churches, The Holy Family and St John the Apostle We are a busy and active Catholic parish and warmly welcome new and past visitors. If you are new to the area please visit us at any time and make your self known. We have a number of groups and activities so please browse through our website and contact us if you would like further information of if we can help in any way.
- 20 October 2016
- Faith Groups
- Local Alliances:
- Luton Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Our parish community acknowledges the difficulties faced by those living with dementia and their carers.
Young @ Heart Singing Café has been established as a community response with a two- fold vision of alleviating loneliness in older people and addressing dementia and how it affects the individual living with the disease, and its effect on those caring for them
1. To address social isolation in those older people with limited family support and those who live with dementia, by building social inclusion.
2. Address at a local level, the vision of the Dementia Friends’ community movement, by creating a ‘dementia friendly intervention within the local community’
3. Use local people to support local people who are affected by loneliness or dementia, to help them live well through attending the Young @ Heart Café –using knowledgeable and supported volunteers to run the café
4. Through the music, song, poetry, arts and crafts, enable those who attend the Café to experience a café style atmosphere, with social interaction and distraction from the difficulties they live with
5. Offer the opportunity for primary carers of those who live with dementia, to meet other carers in a relaxed café environment whilst volunteers support the needs of the individual living with dementia, who attends the café.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Engaging with the parish community, recruiting volunteers, raising dementia awareness, and giving an understanding of person centred care.
These have all been overcome and the parish has embraced this initiative to create a weekly Young@Heart Singing Café which is held at St John’s, Sundon Park on Wednesday from 2 to 4pm.
Delivery of Dementia Friends Information Session to firstly staff and volunteers, then organising on open sessions to be promoted to the congregation and the community
Refer to additional relevant information such as:
- Being implemented
Dementia Friendly Environment
Review signage and refer to the Dementia Friendly Environment when conducting any refurbishment
- Being implemented
Promote the new Young@Heart Singing Café as a place where people affected by dementia and their carers are welcome
Explore the opportunity to create a Sunday Service linked to Memories
Promote the fact you are a member of Luton Dementia Action Alliance and the community opportunities you offer for those living with dementia.