East Staffordshire Borough Council
East Staffordshire Borough Council is a Local Authority covering the geographical area of East Staffordshire. The Borough has two towns Burton upon Trent and Uttoxeter, and has a population of over 115,000 people. The Council works with partners and residents to deliver local priorities. We deliver a wide range of services from waste management to leisure services.
- 13 September 2017
- West Midlands
- Local Authorities
- Local Alliances:
- Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
East Staffordshire Borough Council has already undertaken activities to support people living with dementia. All of our leisure centres now have front of house workforce who have attended Dementia Friends sessions. We would like to take the next step and join the Dementia Action Alliance to see how we could further support people living dementia in East Staffordshire.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Our challenges will include the following:
- Engaging with other Council departments not currently involved in dementia awareness.
- Staff cover to attend training.
Raising awareness with the public to engage, educate and participate in dementia awareness.
We will encourage all frontline staff to attend Dementia awareness training. We will deliver public Dementia Friends Sessions within the community. We will use social media to promote dementia awareness.
2016 - Third Quarter Update
We have organised another dementia friends training session for public facining services, on Wednesday 22nd March 2017. This was well attended and look to run another session in May.
We will consult our current policies and procedures to ensure that we provide appropriate support to members of staff who may be caring for someone living with dementia or working with a diagnosis of dementia. All our policies comply with the Equality Act 2010.
2016 - Fourth Quarter Update
Policies have been reviewed and support the workforce living with or carering for family members living with dementia.
2016 - Third Quarter Update
Our policies have been reviewed.
Dementia Awareness Week
East Staffordshire Borough Council has supported Dementia Awareness Week for the past two years. We will continue to support Dementia Awareness Week for the foreseeable future. In the past our Dementia Awareness Week has included:
• Dementia Friends training for the workforce and staff
• Raising money for the Alzheimer’s Society
• Working with partners to promote services that would support someone living with dementia and their careers.
Our actvities inclu
Tea & Twiddle
Dementia Friendly Swimming
Go Garden Open Morning
Dementia Friends Training for the workforce
2017 - Second Quarter Update