Emsworth Community Association
The Association provides a range of rooms and facilities for a wide variety of activities. We host activities for a local community of around 11,000 including families with young children and the 35% of the local population who are over 65. This includes table tennis for older people, film shows, social and quiz evenings, arts and crafts, fitness and wellbeing activities, dance, music and singing, computing for the elderly and for those with learning disabilities
- 30 August 2016
- Arts, Health, Care, Hospitality, Recreation, Voluntary, Membership Organisations
- Local Alliances:
- Hampshire Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We wish to enable people with dementia to continue taking part in and leading community events.
We are investigating setting up specific dementia friendly sessions.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Funding for building changes
Trustee buy-in for changes required.
Review of the Community Centre
Walk round with Dementia Friends Champion to implement changes for issues people with dementia might have in the Centre and acting on recommendations within the confines of finances. New signage within the Centre is in place and plans for new outside signage being investigated
Hosting a Dementia Information Point
Providing information for people with dementia about services available in Emsworth and its surrounds. At present there is table tennis for older people which is inclusive, keep fit for the elderly and chair yoga.
- Delivered, Being implemented
Hosting Dementia Support Groups
Investigating the need for a local support group which might include singing.
Provide an ongoing venue for Public Dementia Friends Sessions
Provide venue and support for Friends sessions to increase awareness within the local community
- Being implemented
Dementia Awareness raising for staff
Ensure all staff involved with Centre users and appropriate trustees attend a dementia awareness raising session