Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust
An NHS Foundation Trust that provides mental health and learning disability services across Bromley, Greenwich and Bexley. The Trust also provides community health services in Bexley and Greenwich and prison health services across SE England.
- 25 October 2016
- Community organisations, Health, Hospitals and Hospital Trusts
- Local Alliances:
- Bromley Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
The Trust has a role to play with partners in raising awareness about prevention of dementia and the benefits of early diagnosis.
The Trust provides assessment and diagnostic services,along with post diagnostic support. The Trust works alongside social care and third sector partners to provide support. People with more complex dementia access support through the community mental health services. Our CMHTs can utilise more intensive services when needed, including home treatment and inpatient stays. We continue to work with families towards and during the end of life.
We seek to ensure that people with dementia and their carers will receive a high quality sensitive service, whatever service they use.
The Trust is committed to support research programmes as appropriate.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The challenges include:
Growing numbers of people being referred to our services and keeping up with demand.
Variable levels of investment from our commissioners.
Pressure on social care services .
Ensure the organisation as a whole is dementia friendly
We will raise awareness about dementia within all our staff groups( mental and physical health services , corporate departments etc) through a training programme
We will ensure that all our environments are demntia friendly with appropriate signage etc.
2016 - Second Quarter Update
Refresh the Trust Dementia Strategy
The Oxleas dementia strategy is being reviewed and refreshed during 2016 and will include actions on :
reaching hard to reach communities
combining mental and hysical health approaches
learning disability services
providing excellent dementia services
developing a dementia friendly organisation
a wide ranging stragegy, including all aspects of service delivery
- Being implemented
Dementia in prisons
- Undertake literature review on dementia in prisons and scope current provision within the prisons the Trust works in.
Discuss findings with Forensics and Prisons Directorate and work towatds improving access to diagnosis and support within prisons.
- Initial Scoping