The Exeter BID Company represents businesses within a defined area within Exeter City centre with the purpose of helping the businesses to thrive. The Company’s Board of Directors is drawn from the Exeter business community and a senior representative of Exeter City Council. Each member of the Board was nominated and elected by and from the BID levy payers of Exeter. The BID seeks to achieve its aims through the delivery of 4 key projects; 1. “Spread the Word” concentrates on marketing and promoting the City of Exeter 2. “Exciting Exeter” includes events and activities to showcase Exeter. 3. “Welcome and Safe” focusses on making Exeter pleasant and free from harm for its visitors and for the people who work here. 4. “Looking after Business” seeks to improve communication and deliver way of cutting costs for levy payers.
- 17 February 2016
- South West
- Businesses and shops
- Local Alliances:
- Exeter Dementia Action Alliance (EDAA)
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
1. The BID Coordinator (one of the two BID Office staff), and each of the three BID Ambassadors attended a Dementia Friends session in January.
2. We will use our social media to promote awareness of the Dementia Friends sessions and the work of the EDAA
3. We will use our new Exeter BID website (due to be launches in March) to promote the work of the Dementia Friends and of the EDAA.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Like cancer, dementia is a taboo subject for many of us, simply because we do not want to face up to the reality that it may affect us directly, or the lives of those we are close to. Addressing this stigma is an important part of increasing awareness and acceptance of dementia.
As far as the Exeter BID is concerned, we are still a fledgling organization building a rapport with the businesses we represent. Finding ways to effectively communicate our work alongside groups such as DAA will be a key part of our action plan.