The Heavitree Practice
We are a GP Practice providing care for just over 7000 patients in Exeter. We have a large number of elderly and chronically sick patients and are keen to identify any dementia patients to ensure they receive adequate are and support.
- 20 January 2019
- South West
- Care, Health, Medical
- Local Alliances:
- Exeter Dementia Action Alliance (EDAA)
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
1. We will ensure that there are dementia leaflets in our waiting room.
2. We will signpost carers to appropriate agencies.
3. We will ensure our health centre is a dementia friendly building.
4. We will ensure our staff are Dementia Friends
5. We supported and promoted the 2019 Exeter Alliance 'Shining a Light' calendar
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
We are currently working with our PPG and Friends of The Health Centre to provide services such as a memory cafe and drop in sessions.
We would like to continue and increase these facilities and be able to offer more advice and support to ddementia patients.
Dementia Action Plan
1. One member of the clinical team will attend the Exeter Dementia Action Alliance AGM
2. We will ensure that there are dementia-related leaflets in our waiting room.
3. We will signpost carers to appropriate agencies.
4. We will ensure our health centre is a dementia friendly building.
5. We will ensure our staff are Dementia Friends
- Being implemented
Support for the 2019 Exeter Alliance Calendar
We supported and promoted the Exeter Alliance 'Shining a Light' Calendar including through sales in the Practice.