A2Dominion is a leading housing provider and property developer, managing over 35,000 homes and building thousands more across London and the South East. The Group offers high-quality sustainable homes for sale, shared ownership and private rent, with many available through its FABRICA by A2Dominion brand. It also provides affordable and social rented homes, student, key worker and temporary accommodation, as well as supported and sheltered housing. With a unique approach to housebuilding, all of the profits the Group generates are reinvested into supporting its social purpose, helping it to deliver more affordable homes and services to customers. A2Dominion is part of the g15, a group of the largest housing providers in London, and is also one of The Sunday Times Top 100 Not For Profit Organisations to Work
- 3 November 2015
- Housing Sector, Care
- Local Alliances:
- Reading Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
A2Dominion provides housing, care and support for older people, many who are living with dementia. It has a large stock of sheltered and extra care schemes, where A2Dominion staff are at the forefront of providing the care and support. The aim is to make these small communities dementia friendly.
To do this we will ensure the following for our older people services:
- That staff attend dementia awareness training & can recognise the signs of early dementia
- Provide information and resources to staff so that they know where to get support for clients living with dementia.
- Have a team of dementia champions within the organisation who can provide Dementia Friends information sessions for staff & keep dementia on the agenda for the organisation
- Encourage all staff, residents and next of kin to attend a Dementia Friends session.
- Promote a positive and enabling culture that focusses on abilities and skills rather than the negative sides of the disease.
- Implement a dementia strategy.
- Ensure that new housing developments or refurbishments of existing buildings create an environment that is dementia friendly.
- Facilitate a range of activities in the sheltered and extra care schemes that are inclusive of clients living with dementia e.g. singing, gardening, reminiscence, drawing etc.
- Supporting clients living with dementia to remain in their home as long as possible with the use of assistive technology, support, changes to their property as necessary.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- To review all policies and procedures to ensure that they are dementia friendly.
- Having sufficient dementia champions to carry out awareness sessions as well as carry out their day to day tasks.
- Rolling out the programme of becoming dementia friendly across the group will be a challenge due to the number of employees in the organisation.
- Ensuring key departments e.g. Properties Services and Customer Services and key teams such as Development have an awareness of the dementia strategy so that new builds and refurbishments of properties are dementia friendly and staff having direct contact with customers living with dementia are able to respond appropriately.
- Ensuring property services repairs team are dementia aware so that this filters down to contactors carrying out work in accommodation where clients may be living with dementia.
Improve understanding and awareness of dementia
All Care and Support staff in the first instance to complete the online Dementia Friends awareness session or to attend a Dementia Friend session. This is to then be expanded to include other departments within the group.
Link to local organisations to develop signposting network
Develop intranet & internet resource for staff/residents to access support for those living with dementia
Develop ‘the A2Dominion offer’ for those living with dementia
To review the service offer for those living with dementia – floating support and accommodation based support.
- Initial Scoping
Actions for A2Dominion across the group
- Improve awareness of dementia
- Enable public facing staff to identify and work with residents with early signs of dementia and take appropriate action
- Develop staff, services and policies to ensure all A2Dominion residents with dementia and their carers are well supported.
- Develop a dementia friendly housing strategy
- Take a lead in the national dementia agenda – leading by example, experience to share good practice.
Actions within the care and support department
- To develop a dementia friendly strategy for the group so that new buildings and upgrades of existing properties meet dementia friendly standards
- Identify potential numbers of residents and leaseholders with dementia in Care and Support
- Identify those staff need training over and above the Dementia Friends awareness.
- Review tenure arrangements of accommodation so that those with declining mental capacity can remain in their home for as long as possible.
- Promote best practice locally and nationally.