St James’ Church, West End
We are a Church of England parish church in Winchester Diocese, 5 miles north east of Southampton city centre, serving the communities around West End, Harefield and Townhill Farm. We aspire to continue growing, shaped by our faith in Jesus Christ and to offer the best we can in beautiful worship and effective mission in the communities around us.
- 15 October 2015
- Voluntary Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Hampshire Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- Being aware of the issues that people with dementia and their carers face.
- Provide support and understanding when someone with dementia or their carer needs pastoral support.
- Work with and in the community for raising awareness about dementia and challenging the stigma associated with the illness.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Time and resources to roll out the Dementia Awareness sessions to all members of our church and in the community.
Dementia Awareness raising for church members
Offer Dementia Awareness to all members of the church, starting with church leaders team, people who are regularly at the entrance, the Welcome group and people who may interact with people with dementia, pastoral care team and Lunch club helpers.
Dementia Champions’ team
Identify a group of people who would be willing to attend the Dementia Champion training and comfortable to deliver dementia awareness sessions regularly for church members and in the community. The team will stay in touch with DFH and help raising awareness in the local community when possible.
Environmental changes/ signageReview St James’ Church premises and identify possible issues for people with dementia - make changes where possible or be aware and offer help to people who might need it.
Implement in Parish Mission Action Plan
Include Dementia awareness and relevant work with the community in St James’ Parish Mission Action plan.
Provide Dementia friendly services
Liaise with the local Care homes and offer dementia friendly services for their residents. Welcome people with dementia and their carers in our regular worship ensuring they are understood and supported appropriately.
Offering venue when possible to Dementia Friendly Hampshire for Awareness sessions or Dementia support group.
2015 - Fourth Quarter Update