Rowans Hospice Shop, Portchester
The Rowans Hospice Trading Company comprised 22 Charity shops at 31 March 2015 and, including donations from the sale of second hand goods under the gift aid scheme, made a welcome contribution to the Charity’s net income (after expenses). During this period the Trading Company has continued to grow, opening further retail outlets. Further on-line selling has continued to develop to include eBay and Amazon for books. The Board of Trustees remain focused on future developments for the Trading Company to include further retail outlets which, in the long term, will continue to provide additional sustainable income. This income is enhanced through the promotion of Gift Aid. Every effort is made to ensure that the quality of the goods and the shopping experience matches the high quality of care and attention to detail on which we pride outselves within the Hospice.
- 7 October 2015
- Retail, Voluntary Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Hampshire Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- Providing a welcoming environment for people with dementia where they will be met with understanding and patience.
- Demential awareness of staff and volunteers in shops
- Support volunteers and customers who are affected by Dementia
- Help with information – signpost them – support carers
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Staff availability for training. Ability to make changes to our premises
- Venues for training
- Volunteers may feel uneasy about embracing this initiative from their own personal aspect
- Abillity to make changes to the shops
Dementia Awareness raising for staff and volunteers
Ensure all staff and volunteers, attend a dementia awareness raising session
- Being implemented
Review environment of premises
To identify possible issues within the shop for people living with dementia and make changes which are feasible and ensure awareness of those which are not able to address so they are able to help visitors within the premises.
Embed dementia awareness into our practices and procedures
Add dementia awareness into our induction packs and also ensure that our working procedures include dementia awareness
Enable people living with dementia to volunteer in our shops
Be open to the possibility of enabling peple with dementia to work as volunteers in our shops, providing whatever support they feel would be appropriate to them
Description: Involve volunteers to become part of the Dementia Friendly Hampshire Project.
2015 - Third Quarter Update