Costa Coffee - Cottingham
Costa is the nation's favourite coffee shop and the largest and fastest growing coffee shop chain in the UK.
- 25 August 2015
- Local Alliances:
- East Riding Dementia Action Alliance, Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Costa coffee is visited by all types of people and allows a place for people to socialise and relax.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The organisation that we work in is a very fast paced environment; staff must take into consideration what they have learnt from the training and apply it.
Awareness and Understanding of Dementia
Increase staff awareness and understanding of dementia by staff undertaking a Dementia Friends information session.
Incorporate dementia awareness into our induction programme for new staff.
Dementia Champion and Team Briefings
Dementia Champion actions could include:
- Promoting dementia awareness and dementia friendly communities within our organisations and amongst their wider networks
- Encouraging other branches in our organisation or group (if appropriate) to join the East Riding Dementia Action Alliance
- Include dementia as an agenda item at team briefings
- Being enthusiastic about and supportive of people with dementia such as promoting inclusivity, promoting early diagnosis
- Acting as a spokesperson as and when opportunities arise
- Influencing others
- Undertake Alzheimer’s Society Dementia Friends Champion Training to enable delivery of Dementia Friends information sessions ‘in house’.
Use of our Costa Coffee premises / facilities for dementia awareness raising activities
We have already agreed to the free use of our premises for a Dementia Friendly Cottingham event to be held on Tuesday 1 September 2015. Where we are able to accommodate this, we will provide our premises for future awareness raising events.
- Being implemented, Planning