Barclays Bank Exeter
- 22 November 2015
- South West
- Local Alliances:
- Exeter Dementia Action Alliance (EDAA)
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
I would like my colleagues to be more aware of what dementia is, the effects it can have on the person living with dementia and potentially the carer and also to try and help spot if our customers have dementia. We have several thousand Customers in Exeter and I believe we can raise awareness that will help the organisation.
My aim is to ensure that approximately the 50 members of staff we have in Exeter branch have attended a dementia event by the end of the year to get a better understanding for good customer service.
We would also like 5 members of staff to help support out in the community with the Exeter Dementia Alliance by the end of the year.
We will support members of staff who are caring for people living with dementia.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
As a massive business sometimes our main focus is not so much on community engagement so it's important that we make the time to fulfill our actions.
Staff also have a lot of other commitments, both in and out of work which can mean that they don't feel passionate so its important that they get the time to understand how important this is. I will hold quarterly branch meeting to keep dementia awareness alive
Raising Awareness With Staff
There are 3 actions I would like to take
1.Ensure that employees have attended a dementia event by the end of the year and encourage staff to become a dementia friend. We are to engage with local alliance to achieve this.
2. On the back of first action, a employee to be a dementia friends champion and be able to deliver awareness sessions
3. Raise awareness in Branch by keeping Dementia leaflets on hand for customers and staff so that we can distribute and also put up posters during a National Dementia Week to show our support
- Being implemented
Errect Dementia Friendly signage at public conveniences and venues for hire.
The Town Council was approached in 2014 to make amendments to its signage and this was carried out where possible, we will continue to check on this.
- Uncompleted, Investigating