Asda is one of the major leading supermarkets in the UK .In each of the Bury stores (Bury, Pilsworth and Radcliffe) there is a Community Life Champion who works with community groups and local organisations. They arrange events in store and inspire colleagues and customers to get involved in local community work. In some of stores there are space /meeting rooms, for local groups to use.
- 7 October 2015
- North West
- Local Alliances:
- Bury Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We aim to support services that support people with dementia and their carers in Bury and aim to enhance a sense of belonging of being a valued part of family, community and civic life in Bury.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Staff awareness of dementia
- Creating the right environment that is suitable for people with dementia
- Knowing the community we are targeting and tailoring the marketing appropriately
- Sharing best practice, key learning areas and challenges encountered
Improve the Skills and knowledge of dementia of the ASDA workforce.
We will improve the skills of the dementia care workforce by accessing a range of high quality education programs to staff across the leisure services. Dementia awareness sessions have been booked for staff for the summer of 2015.The community life champions will also become dementia friends Champions and deliver dementia friend’s sessions for staff. Staff to also have information on dementia with training and staff areas i.e. a guide for customer-facing staff'
Support local dementia groups and offer support for local fundraising and community events.
To attend the local dementia community services (dementia cafes, singing for the brain, dementia awareness event events) and dementia action alliance meetings to gain more awareness and support people’s and communities need. In finding out the needs of those with dementia so that ASDA staff teams can develop and adapt their customer service for people with dementia/carers.
Review the customer environment using checklist provided and make any immediate changes we can now, noting those we can make at the next refurbishment