Swanage Area Dementia Friendly Community
A voluntary community group Arising from Purbeck Good Neighbour volunteer group it has shown a need for a deeper understanding of dementia within the community A steering group was formed from public health, care services, voluntary and private sector organisations to this aim This steering group is made up of members including town councillors, health representatives, residential nursing homes, Dorset POPP, carers, business partners, Rotary and members of the public. A broad spectrum of our community have shown an interest
- 1 June 2018
- South West
- Health, Voluntary Sector, Local DAA Members, Charity, Community organisations, Care
- Local Alliances:
- Swanage Area Dementia Friendly Community
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- Raise Awareness of Dementia within the community
- Improving lives of those affected with dementia – both carers and cared for and family members.
- To empower those with dementia to feel confident and participate in local activities
- Challenge Stigma
- Promote awareness within the business and retail industries
- To provide safe havens
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- All members of our orgainisation are volunteers so working within time constraints
- Having sufficient funding to pay for printing costs etc.
Set up Singing For Pleasure group
Create a group accessible to those living with dementia and their carers. Run twice monthly on Thursday afternoons in local church hall with attached cafe for carers who do not want to join in but can meet with each other.
Making local businesses Dementia Friendly
Awareness sessions with local businesses to encourage businesses to provide dementia friendly environment.
Work with businesses to create their own action plans