St Thomas Library
St Thomas Library is east of the River Exe in Exeter In addition to traditional library functions, St Thomas Library is embedded in the community, working with organisations like Age UK and the local GP Practice to deliver and promote diverse and inclusive services.
- 28 June 2015
- South West
- Arts, Care, Communication, Health, Local Authorities
- Local Alliances:
- Exeter Dementia Action Alliance (EDAA)
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
1. The library will continue to participate in the Reading Well Books on Prescription for Dementia project providing accredited books to people with dementia and their carers.
2. The library has already hosted a Dementia Friends session and is very open to working further with people and organisations working to make a difference for people living with dementia and their carers.
3. Key library staff will become Dementia Friends so as to improve customer care and awareness for the library
4. The library staff will develop their knowledge of signposting to specialist and local sources of information and services about dementia.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Releasing staff time to attend the Dementia Friends session will be tricky.
More generally, libraries are universal services meeting the needs of the whole community. This is a strength but also challenges attempts to develop specific knowledge to meet the needs of specific groups of service users.
The key is to focus on the customer experience and signposting role of libraries in the community.
1. Promote Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia books in the library.
2015 - First Quarter Update
St Thomas Library now has a Reading Well dementia book collection for free loan - launched in January 2015.
Dementia Friends sessions
St Thomas Library is happy to host Dementia Friends sessions as and when requested by Friends Champions.
- Being implemented
Signposting and Information
St Thomas Library will use signposting and information resources to respond to customer enquiries about dementia and dementia support.
- Being implemented