Hastings Older Peoples Ethnic Group
Hope-G aims to provide a voice for predominantly, but not exclusively Black and Minority ethic (BME) older people (50 years plus) in Hastings, St Leonards and the surrounding area of East Sussex. We want to raise the profile of the assets, needs, values and interests of senior people from BME and religious backgrounds. We speak up about Health, Social Care, Economic and Community issues that affect senior people from all BME and religious backgrounds. We hold regular meetings, provide information, raise awareness and offer social activities. All these help to reduce social isolation. As a member of Hope-G we have a voice for senior people to engage with statutory bodies and contribute to improvements in services.
- 3 February 2015
- South East
- Local Alliances:
- Bexhill Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
The forum is a free-to-join organisation aimed predominantly at BME older people within the Hastings & St Leonards community. We seek to represent seniors at Council level to influence decision making for the benefit for older people. Through meetings, we maintain information flow and knowledge of new initiatives such that it is a 'two way' benefit with our members kept informed and the forum aware of community needs and difficulties. Using all of the information channels built over past years, the forum will play a major part in a local alliance in disseminating information and working toward better understanding within our community.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Raising support for Hastings & St Leonards Dementia Action Alliance.
- Generating active membership of the steering group.
- Raising support for activities held by the Hastings & St Leonards Dementia Action Alliance.
Hold an Older People's Day event
We will hold an event for Older People's Day with a focus on Living Well with Dementia. During the event we will work on giving information and advice to members of the community.
- Initial Scoping
Promote Dementia Champions to members
Encourage and support Hope-G members to become Dementia Champions