Sevenoaks area Dementia friendly community forum
Sevenoaks DFC forum is a multi agency and local person forum , working together to make Sevenoaks are more dementia friendly
- 1 April 2016
- South East
- Care, Clinical Commissioning Group, Communication, Hospitality, Hospitals and Hospital Trusts, Health, Local Authorities, Retail, Voluntary Sector, Recreation, Legal, Commissioners Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Kent Dementia Action Alliance, West Kent Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
The Sevenoaks Dementia Friendly Community Forum was initiated in July 2014 in response to the Kent Wide Dementia friendly communities work.
The aim for the forum is for local professionals, carers, people with dementia and anyone with an interest in dementia to meet quarterly and discuss issues, share good practice and to work towards the forums agreed action plans to make the area dementia friendly
Membership includes: Sevenoaks Town Council, Alzheimer’s society, Sevenoaks District Council, The Good care Group, Home instead senior care, KCHT, Age uk Sevenoaks and Tonbridge, Brachers law, west kent ccg
Kent County Council:Dementia friendly communities team, Libraries, response programme, and open to all local organisations and residents.
The purpose of the Sevenoaks Dementia Forum is:
- To engage with, gather and listen to the views of the residents across the area.
- To transform the quality of life of people with dementia and their carers through promoting the National Dementia Declaration
- Increasing awareness and understanding of dementia by providing and promoting Dementia friends sessions
- Promote information sharing about services and support for those with dementia and their carers to live well in the Sevenoaks Area
- To encourage community support through engaging local businesses, professionals organisations and groups, making Sevenoaks a friendly community
- Breaking down barriers and helping remove stigmatisation by working within the local community and schools.
- To support those with dementia, their families and carers, ensuring they are heard and can gain the help they need.
- Provide Training and Confidence Building to help facilities, services, shops and the general public to assist those living with dementia in our community
- Engage and influence practical action to make tangible changes to make our environment more dementia friendly through, for example, Neighbourhood/Town development plans and New/enhanced services
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Challenges will include:
- Engaging local organisations and sharing the importance of dementia friendly communities
- Making Dementia Relevant to various agencies
- Time allocated for staff attendance at awareness sessions and at meetings
- Communications, getting the information to the more isolated members of the community and making sure that the communications are appropriate
- Practical support and resources to fulfil the aims of tangible actions
Information, Information Gathering : what people want Appropriate and accessible information, information sharing: more word of mouth
Prior to focusing on the actual methods to complete the rest of the areas priorities Sevenoaks dementia friendly community forum decided to put a huge emphasis on collecting the views of residents across the whole of the Sevenoaks area. Large Insight gathering sheets asking the question ’what is needed to make your area dementia friendly?’ were put in every parish council, local library and a number of GP surgeries throughout November, accompanied by a draft copy of a multi agency information leaflet.
UntitledIdentifying Risk and local pathways : clarification and common sense with Data protection: Power of Attorney, education both public and professional
We are investigating what people already understand, what pathways are in existence and where these can be simplifies of clarified
- Initial Scoping
Environment, Hospital, retail, gateway etc.
Working together the forum hopes to promote dementia friendly signage and spaces, Initially we are looking at the Sevenoaks distric council reception and looking at using this as an example for others
increase engagement and awareness: tapping into other existing meetings etc : next steps training and support
All members of the forum are initially looking at their own agencies and what training and awareness is already in existence, Those who have the ability are encouraging people to attend awareness sessions