Groundwork West & North Yorkshire
Our vision is to see a society of sustainable communities which are vibrant, healthy and safe, which respect the local and global environment and where individuals and enterprise prosper. We’re passionate about changing places and changing lives and we won’t stop working until everywhere is vibrant and green, every community is strong and able to shape its own destiny and everyone can reach their potential. That’s why we’ve worked for over 25 years where we’re needed most – on the ground in communities across Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale and Kirklees, delivering hundreds of projects each year. Helping people out of fuel poverty. Bringing out the best in young people by helping them to improve their local area. Building stronger communities by improving green spaces. The Groundwork approach remains the same now as we when we first rolled up our sleeves in the 1980s: Start local Put the right tools in people’s hands Engage with everyone who has a stake in a place Address as many issues as possible with the same investment
- 16 November 2015
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Housing Sector, Care
- Local Alliances:
- Leeds Dementia Action Alliance, Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance, Hambleton Dementia Action Alliance, Scarborough Dementia Action Alliance, Richmondshire Dementia Action Alliance, Ryedale Dementia Action Alliance, Whitby DAA Collaborative
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Groundwork can offer activities tailored for people with dementia and their carers, connecting people with their community and environment in order to live healthy and fulfilling lives.
Groundwork have a committed and passionate workforce, which includes a large number of volunteers from diverse backgrounds and age groups.
Both locally and regionally (and nationally for Groundwork) we deliver services that combine 1-2-1 advice, support and guidance with improvements in local areas that enhance people’s experience of their community and provide environments that support better outcomes for people’s physical and mental wellbeing.
- Model good practice to partners and communities in promoting the care and wellbeing of people with dementia and their carers
- Help to access the most appropriate services through access to information and advice
- Be part of the local and national initiative to create a dementia friendly city, by becoming a dementia friendly organisation
- Participate and contribute to local and regional events and initiatives around Dementia
- Ensure our services take account of the specific needs of those with dementia and their carers and are inclusive and welcoming.
- Ensure community and environmental development and activities include and promote the needs of people with dementia and their carers
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Staff, volunteer’s and community’s understanding of dementia
- Ensuring that the dementia agenda is built into our day to day activity
- Including planning for dementia friendly solutions in the built environment
- Reaching as many people as possible
- Effectively identifying both people with dementia and their carers – creating a ‘safe’ place for disclosure as well as ensuring staff are able to identify those people who are undiagnosed
- Limited financial resources
Improve awareness and understanding of dementia
Ensure access to training for staff, volunteers and service users in order to provide services that are accessible and inclusive
Ensure leadership to embed the Dementia agenda
Appoint a Dementia Champion within the Groundwork trusts to enable oversight and development of actions. This will provide an effective link for information, guidance and to ensure the action plan is implemented and reviewed.
Support the development of environments where dementia friendly design is incorporated
Actively seek out partnerships where we can contribute to the design of dementia friendly communities and environments and share our expertise in that area with others (i.e. housing, community groups, care homes, etc.)
- Initial Scoping