Age UK Faversham and Sittingbourne
We provide wide ranging and holistic services to older people throughout our district that are tailored to meet individual need.
- 14 August 2015
- South East
- Local Alliances:
- Dementia Action Alliance Faversham, Kent Dementia Action Alliance, Swale Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We are driven to support people living with dementia and their carers, to achieve better outcomes in terms of:
1) Not being isolated or lonely
2) Ensuring that people live in a healthy, safe environment as independently as possible- preventing falls and unnecessary admission to hospital or residential care
3) Health and wellbeing is maintained
4) Carers are supported and their own priorities are recognised
5) Information and Advice is provided to support people to maintain control over their lives and finances.
6) Older people are respected and their views are included.
Our aim is to continue to provide and develop our services through a process of consultation and involvement.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
2) Developing a management structure to oversee the development
3) Knowledge and understanding of dementia
To increase the provision of specialist day care opportunities for people living with dementia and to ensure that all who could benefit from this are able to access it.
To consult with clients and carers around their support needs in terms of the need for extra day provision. To develop expertise, staffing structure, transport and location in order to facilitate this.
To provide the service from an environment which is safe, welcoming and dementia friendly
To relocate provision to Teynham and carry out the EHE Assessment Tool to highlight and address any issues that need to be addressed to ensure that the environment is Dementia Friendly
To train all staff and volunteers in dementia awareness
All staff and volunteers to complete dementia awareness training as part of their induction.