The Provincial Grand Lodge of Yorkshire North and East Ridings
Freemasonry is a non-religious, non-political, fraternal and philanthropic organisation which exists both to act as a forum for people to meet new and old friends and improve their own self-knowledge, making a real contribution to family and society through helping deserving causes.
- 16 November 2015
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Local Alliances:
- Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance, Hambleton Dementia Action Alliance, Scarborough Dementia Action Alliance, Richmondshire Dementia Action Alliance, Ryedale Dementia Action Alliance, Whitby DAA Collaborative
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Freemasons Lodges exist in very many of the towns in the old Yorkshire East and North Ridings geographic boundary areas. As well as being social gathering points they are all very much involved with local, regional and philanthropic activities. Membership is drawn from all walks of life and wide geographic spread means that the Lodge Network is well placed to help with Dementia Awareness raising and support those living with or caring for those living with Dementia.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Ensuring consistent awareness raising throughout all 98 Lodges and the 2500+members involved
To Improve Dementia awareness in all Lodges in the Province of Yorkshire North and East Ridings
To give Dementia awareness training to lodge almoners and encourage them to promote dementia awareness within the lodges in the Province. Dementia Awareness updates to be regularly provided to the Lodge Almoners
The current Lecture Improving Dementia Awareness to be regally updated and maintained as an ongoing available lecture for lodges to use and receive.
- Delivery, Implementation
To ensure Masons and their families who are living with Dementia are supported and included
- 1. Through the Lodge Almoner system and for every mason being charged with keeping their Almoner and Lodge updated
- 2. Develop a visiting rota to ensure that contact is maintained throughout and sharing the timetable across as many members of the lodge as is practical
- 3. Support any member living with Demetria to enable them to enjoy the Freemasonry activities and contribute to the social, business and philanthropic activities for as long as they wish to.
Lodges to participate in any Community Dementia awareness activities
As Dementia Friendly Communities emerge - make sure they are supported by the local Lodge and encourage Lodge members to join their local alliance either as individuals or through their business or social connections.
Where feasible, make Lodges available for running Dementia Friends sessions.
Promote the activities of this Province in raising dementia awareness to the whole Freemasonry movement.
Provide information and advice on living well with Dementia and advice for Lodges on how to provide emotional and practical support as the condition advances