British Transport Police
We are the national police force for the railways. Every day, we police the journeys of over six million passengers. Our aim is to keep you safe and make you feel secure while you travel.
- 19 November 2015
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Transport Sector, Emergency Services Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Kirklees Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
British Transport Police is focused on delivering a first class specialist policing service for the railway and our mission is to protect and serve the railway environment and its community.
Our vision includes delivering an exceptional customer service experience and to continually review and learn from our customer service in order to develop best practice.
BTP embraces diversity by valuing differences between people and communities, this involves reaching out to, communicating and consulting with communities so we can better understand and meet their needs. We aim to win the trust and co-operation of those we serve so they can help us achieve our objectives and to develop a workforce that reflects the diverse communities we serve.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Training for officers and staff on Dementia.
- Learning how to break down barriers to ensure a better understanding from vulnerable persons.
- Linking with outside agencies to enable a greater level of knowledge and understanding.
- Maintaining levels of dementia awareness amongst our staff after initial training.
- Encouraging our partners in the railway industry to support delivery of our Action Plan.
Raise dementia awareness
We will include dementia as a standing agenda on the Area Diversity Awareness Group.
We will be providing training to all staff to ensure basic dementia understanding.
Partnership working and awareness
We will facilitate and raise awareness of the Dementia Action Alliance via use of our external internet and social media functions. We will also display dementia awareness literature in public facing areas at all police stations. In addition to this we will co-ordinate railway familiarisation days working in partnership with the train operating companies and the Alzheimer’s Society and create an internal network of dementia champions to ensure that we remain committed to promoting dementia awareness amongst our staff and partners.