We are a new café providing coffee and freshly prepared sandwiches, cakes, and hot meals. We offer both a sit in and takeaway service. Our aim is to create an environment where everyone feels welcome and can enjoy fresh food through offering excellent customer service.
- 10 September 2014
- West Midlands
- Retail, Hospitality
- Local Alliances:
- Wolverhampton Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
At Taste Warehouse we can support people with dementia and their families by providing an environment where they feel valued and understood, and by supporting their sense of belonging and of being valued as part of the community.
We have set out to ensure that within our café we have considered the needs of our customers that may have dementia.
We will do this by considering the needs of people with dementia within the environment we create.
We will become a place where people with dementia and their families feel welcome because they know staff are aware of dementia. We will take our time with customers to ensure they feel valued.
We will work closely with other organizations locally to achieve this.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The challenges as we see them are:
To raise awareness amongst other customers about dementia.
To communicate what we are doing to other organisations and the people with dementia and their families.
Cost of any expensive alternations which need to be factored in over time
To train staff to be aware of Dementia
- We will include Dementia awareness training within the staff induction process and with ongoing training thereafter. This will include both reading relevant material and also watching videos for customer facing staff.
- We will appoint a Dementia champion within the staff team to keep themselves up to date with information so they can support other colleagues
- We will ask a Dementia friend to provide the team with a training session.
- We will display the dementia friendly logo.
We will create an environment that is Dementia Friendly by:
- Reading the relevant information that is available on the DAA website and by attending relevant meetings to increase awareness.
- Having clear signs correctly placed and visible
- Printing the menu in clear large font
- Creating an attractive landmark outside (for example plant pots)
We will raise awareness amongst the community, staff team and also people with dementia and their families. This will be done by:
- Promoting the fact that we are dementia friendly
- Displaying our dementia awareness logo proudly
- By raising awareness through our website when its developed
- By asking for feedback from customers with dementia and their families after they visit