Forget Me Not Skellow
An independently owned shop selling a wide range of greetings cards, gifts, toys and stationery situated in the village of Skellow near Doncaster.
- 8 September 2014
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Local Alliances:
- Doncaster Dementia Action Alliance, Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
My organisation’s role would be to contribute to delivering outcomes 5 and 6 specifically with regard to:
* understanding that challenging behaviour may be as a result of dementia
* respecting and supporting the role of anyone caring for someone with dementia
* ensuring that anyone with dementia and their carers feel safe and supported in our shop and wider local community ensuring our shop is welcoming for people with dementia and that staff are always helpful and supportive.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Ensuring that all staff are fully aware of the signs and symptoms of dementia and what they can do to make sure people with dementia and their carers feel comfortable and supported when shopping with us.
Enabling staff to provide help and support to people with dementia and their carers.
Train staff to recognise the signs and symptoms of dementia.
Train staff to know what additional support customers with dementia and their carers may need,
Produce information sheets for staff to use as an aide memoire.
Providing information to customers on local services available to people with dementia.
Find out what services are available locally.
Obtain leaflets / literature available for customers to take away.
Develop a working relationship with service providers to act as a liaison between the customer and the service.
Ensuring our shop is a dementia friendly environment.
Find out what makes a dementia friendly environment.
Make any necessary changes to the shop to make sure it is dementia friendly.