WLCT- Wigan Libraries, Heritage and Arts
Delivering Library and Heritage Services on behalf of Wigan Council
- 31 October 2014
- North West
- Local Alliances:
- Wigan Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- It is our intention to take all the staff and managers through Dementia Friends Awareness training by March 2015. Three of the managers have been trained as Dementia Friends Champions in order to progress this awareness training.
- We will develop a programme of activities in partnership with WLCT Active Living to support their Dementia programme and Dementia Cafes.
- We will work in partnership with the local community to establish a Dementia Café at Atherton Library
- We will increase of provision of Reminiscence boxes
- We will extend Dementia Friendly activity to libraries beyond Hindley, Wigan and Leigh.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
We have limited financial resources both staffing and for the purchase of physical resources. We are working in changing times and experiencing service delivery changes which makes consistency difficult.
We will look to work in partnership with local communities to help create a dementia friendly Wigan
We will look to share resources with other partners in order to foster collaborative working.
We will investigate sourcing additional funding for dementia related projects
We will ensure that Dementia Services and awareness remains a key part of our Service Health and Well Being agenda