Humberside Police Force
We are a police service whose aim is protecting communities, targeting criminals, making a difference
- 8 October 2015
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Emergency Services Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Hull Dementia Action Alliance , Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance, East Riding Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Humberside Police has a vision that people need to be safe wherever they are and whatever they are doing. We have a particular responsibility in helping people to feel and be safe.
We will do this by providing a service that is intended to protect, help and reassure all our communities. We will deliver this in a way which treats all people fairly, with respect and dignity.
- Ensure that all our policing services are provided in a fair manner and do not discriminate against any group or individual.
- Identify vulnerability and respond using the required service.
- Provide assistance in conjunction with partner agencies to problem solving and reducing victims of crime.
In doing this Humberside Police intend to deliver a better outcome for people with Dementia and their carers.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The challenges in delivering these outcomes are mainly down to time and resources, in these times of austerity the demand on resources and their availability to attend awareness/training sessions is reduced.
To overcome these challenges has involved the prioritisation of those individuals within the organisation who would benefit most training in dementia.
I have also got buy in from our senior management to roll out the training to staff, the first staff have been identified who come from our protecting vulnerable people department
To raise awareness of Dementia
- Educate all customer facing staff to recognise and understand the experience of someone with Dementia.
Continue to develop understanding of Dementia
- Learn from the feedback received from those with Dementia and their carers and make appropriate changes to practice.
Establish an agreed Contact Management Plan bespoke to the needs of those with Dementia when they have become victims of crime.
- Initial Scoping