Summervale Surgery is a modern GP Practice in Ilminster Somerset, which offers professional quality care to our 7300 patients. We have 6 GP partners and a salaried GP, 6 Practice Nurses and 2 HCA's, plus some admin and reception staff. We are a training practice and regularly have GP in training at the practice. We work closely with other practises in the area to develope services and improve our standards of service.
- 2 July 2014
- South West
- Health, Clinical Commissioning Group, Medical
- Local Alliances:
- Ilminster Dementia Friendly Community
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- We will be working closely with other local NHS organisations and other agencies as part of a Dementia Project Steering Group.
- Ensure all staff are appropriately trained in dementia care to enable an informed and effective workforce.
- Provide excellent standards of care and support to patients and their carers and relatives.
- Be part of the Dementia Friends and Champions network.
- Advise patients and carers of the support available to them, both verbally and in writing, in local area.
- Develop a care plan with patients with dementia to support their future needs.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Ensuring that our Action Plan is embedded in our company culture.
- Encouraging others to work in the same way.
- Meeting demand in the future.
- Ensuring up to date knowledge of services.
- Competing priorities both internally and in the wider NHS community.
- Trying to overcome stigma to both having dementia and being labelled "a carer".
- Future resources, financial and staffing.