Leeds North Clinical Commissioning Group
NHS Leeds North Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is an organisation led by GPs and nurses. We work together with patients , communities and GP practices in the area to ensure that the right NHS services are in place to support people and help improve their health and wellbeing. We call this commissioning. It has a “Council” of members as its core decision-making body. The Council is made up of representatives of each of its 29 member GP practices. It meets every two months so practices can discuss and agree how to tackle health issues affecting their local patients and communities. Leeds North CCG takes the lead role in commissioning health services for people with mental health needs for the Leeds local authority area, on behalf of the other two CCGs in Leeds. This includes the Leeds memory service and other specialist provisions for people with dementia.
- 27 June 2014
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Health, Clinical Commissioning Group
- Local Alliances:
- Leeds Dementia Action Alliance, Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We can make a difference in three ways:
1) As a commissioning organisation, working to improve services for local people.
2) As a membership organisation, supporting Leeds North GPs who provide primary health services used by the whole community.
3) As an employee, whose staff are part of local communities
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Clinicians and staff are working hard to provide the best services to local people, and making the changes required to improve and sustain our NHS. Making time for dementia-friendly actions will sometimes be a challenge, but we see it as an integral part of changing the NHS and developing healthy communities
Lead the redesign of dementia diagnosis and post-diagnosis support for the whole of Leeds. This will bring diagnosis and treatment services closer to local communities, increase the number of people with a diagnosis, and ensure a consistent offer of information, advice and help.
We will arrange for all Practice Managers and GP reception staff in our CCG to have a Dementia Friends session at one of the “Target” training days. We will then ask for staff to develop further work such as appointment reminders and waiting room environments.
Delivery of dementia friends sessions to our staff team, and encouragement to move on to become trained as dementia champions. Leeds North CCG Chief Exec and the team member responsible for dementia are both trained as a Dementia Champion and will deliver the dementia friends sessions to staff at a team briefing.
Delivery of dementia friends session to CCG Governing Body.