York Older People’s Assembly
YOPA is a small organisation. It is an umbrella body embracing both individual members and organisations representing older people in the City including Age Uk, York Blind & Partially Sighted Society, as affiliated members. Its main objectives are to highlight policy issues affecting older people and to represent them in different ways including consultation forums established by statutory bodies. Dialogue with older people is maintained by regular Open Meetings and a Newsletter. The Assembly also gets involved in particular projects in the City that affect older people – one example is the major review of Elderly Person’s Homes. Finally YOPA organises on an annual basis the 50+ Festival which takes place over a period of 10 days and also a major Information Fair focussed on older people which is held annually in the centre of York.
- 12 April 2018
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Care, Housing Sector, Local Authorities, Transport Sector
- Local Alliances:
- York Dementia Action Alliance, Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
YOPA is not a direct provider of services.
Members of YOPA’s Executive Committee have undertaken Dementia Training
What we do do is provide information and the opportunity for discussion through different forms including:
- Newsletter- 4,500 copies distributed
- Open Meeting
- Information Fairs
- YOPA’s website
- Respond to Survey requests both as an organisation and ensuring the opportunity for individual members to also become involved
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
YOPA is not a direct provider of services so we rely on contact through the various means set out at 1 above. We have to be careful to ensure that the topics chosen for the Open Meetings are ones that are relevant to the lives of older people.
Open Meeting - Dementia
On 21 July 2014 two representatives of the Dementia Action Alliance will be speaking at a YOPA Open Meeting. The first part of the meeting will be a presentation followed by a question and answer session. On average around 60-70 older people are likely to be present at an Open Meeting.
Newsletter article relating to dementia
The YOPA Newsletter is sent to all individual Members and affiliated organisations as well as to a number of community locations including libraries, nursing homes and sheltered housing schemes. The Newsletter is an extremely effective way of communicating key messages.
Information Fair September 2014
The Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance have booked one of the information stands at the Annual Information Fair organised by YOPA in September 2014. The range of bodies involved in the Information Fair is very wide and a number of other participants will also have information of relevance to people with Dementia and their Carers