Southway Housing Trust
We are a housing association with 6000 properties in South Manchester in the areas of Didsbury, Chorlton, Burnage and Withington. We have a larger than average population of older (50+) tenants. We provide two small supported housing schemes for older people but the majority of our accommodation is general needs. Also within the organisation we have developed an Age Friendly Strategy and we employ an Age Friendly Project Officer to implement this work.
- 16 April 2014
- North West
- Housing Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Manchester Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
As part of our Age Friendly Strategy, our 2014/15 objectives include further development of our work in relation to dementia. We plan to commission training for staff, to investigate options for establishing specific services (e.g. dementia cafes) and to improve the services we offer more generally including our overall ethos and staff understanding of the subject. We also oversee three Valuing Older People networks (of partner agencies from the statutory, voluntary and private sectors) in the local areas in which we have properties, and we will continue to encourage these groups to develop their dementia work.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The key challenges to delivering these outcomes for our organisation are:
- Organisational (and wider) understanding and expertise in relation to dementia
- Priorities (partners – it is a priority for us)
Asses the level and type of need amongst Southway tenants for dementia services
We will undertake work to assess levels and types of need amongst our tenants for dementia services, which may include information, advice and direct support.
Understand good practice in relation to dementia services
Determine good practice amongst other RPs and beyond in relation to dementia, and assess whether or not any of this is replicable within Southway
- Initial Scoping
Set up relevant projects
Following the outcomes of actions 1 and 2, set in place the relevant pieces of work.
- Initial Scoping
Reference to dementia in Southway New Build Design Guide
Include references to dementia in New Build Design Guide – resulting in new developments designed to be dementia-friendly and therefore Lifetime Homes.