North Lincolnshire Council Trading Standards
Our role is to safeguard the interests of consumers and the business community within North Lincolnshire. We are always working to achieve a fair and safe trading environment and we do this by providing our service to both consumers and businesses within North Lincolnshire.
- 29 October 2014
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Local Authorities
- Local Alliances:
- North Lincolnshire Dementia Action Alliance, Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Increasing consumer protection and education in relation to doorstep crime is a priority for North Lincolnshire Council Trading Standards Service. Doorstep crime offenders often target vulnerable members of society and our Doorstep Crime Policy aims to:
• minimise the loss to victims
• prevent them from further incidents of door step crime
• ensure as much information as possible is gathered on a trader so that it can be shared regionally
• prevent further consumers becoming victims of door step crime
• ensure all Officers are able to deal with incidents safely and with a consistent approach
• make other residents in the area aware of the presence of such traders to prevent them also becoming victims
• promote local Trading Standards Approved businesses if work is required on or in a consumers home
We aim to respond to 100% of all vulnerable consumer complaints including attending consumers’ homes if rogue traders are present. We work in partnership with other agencies (both professional and voluntary sector) for both education and enforcement activities We will take appropriate enforcement action against rogue traders We operate Trader Watch Zones in partnership with North Lincolnshire Homes and private park home sites.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The main challenge in delivering these outcomes is the ongoing budget issues facing local government.
Working with Partners
Work more closely with partner organisations to educate and provide support on doorstep crime issues
Promotion of Think Jessica campaign
Provide training/talks for local partners on the Think Jessica campaign
Intelligence led doorstep crime enforcement
To develop an intelligence led, targetted approach to doorstep crime by working with local partners