Readibus is a dial-a-ride, door to door, fully accessible bus service for people who find using ordinary buses difficult.
- 20 February 2019
- South East
- Transport Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Wokingham Borough DAA, Reading Dementia Action Alliance, Bracknell Forest Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
The aim of ReadiBus is to enable those, who find it difficult to use ordinary buses to travel independently or with their carer. This gives supported control to people to do the things that matter to them and to access a wide range of options and opportunities.
The ReadiBus service is designed around the needs of the passenger with door-to-door assistance and awareness of passenger needs, allowing people to travel from their homes in a safe and supported environment.
It is easy to contact ReadiBus by telephone, email and fax to find out about the service and to request and cancel journeys.
ReadiBus is an integral part of the community and liaises with local organisations to obtain the most suitable journeys to events, clubs and activities. ReadiBus regularly attends meetings and information events within the community in order to work with and support generally with transport for those who have difficulties using ordinary buses.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
ReadiBus is a busy service in which capacity may sometimes be a challenge. Our buses are single crew and when a passenger needs to be accompanied a carer will need to travel with their client. Dementia awareness is important and to this end ReadiBus will soon be a Champion for dementia awareness and although we already include dementia awareness within our in-house training the Champion for dementia awareness will be including fuller dementia awareness training.
Ensuring ReadiBus operates with full knowledge of the needs of people with dementia
- Become a Champion for dementia awareness - in hand.
- Ensure all staff become a dementia friend through training from Champion - in hand.
- Enable and support passengers with dementia to lead as active and interesting life as possible with safe and supported journeys.
2014 - First Quarter Update