Bristol Dementia Action Alliance
Bristol Dementia Action Alliance became a Registered Charitable Incorporated Organisation in June 2016 and is working to increase Dementia Awareness in Bristol. More information is available on our website: www.bdaa.org.uk
- 16 March 2020
- South West
- Local Alliances:
- Bristol Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
1. Our aim is to enable Bristol to become “The Dementia Friendly City of the UK”
.2. We will visit businesses/organisations within the Bristol area using two tools to increase Dementia awareness i.e.
- the Global Purple Angel Campaign - the Dementia Friends initiative,
3. By running “Roadshows” in strategic Bristol locations once a quarter with the aim of spreading Dementia aweareness and getting “buy-In “ from local people
4. By running workshops in schools, uniformed organisations e.g. Scouts, Guides, Brownies, Cubs, Beavers, Rainbows and youth clubs etc. to increase Dementia awaeness amongst the young.
5. By running BDAA stalls at local markets, fayres, boot sales and otherevents to increase awareness of Dementia.
6. By supporting Dementia Awareness Days and Memory Walks.
7. By helping people to link up with organisations offering help and support to people with Dementia and their carers,
8. Working shoulder to shoulder with any group,organisation or individual seeking to help or support those people with Dementia and their carers enabling Bristol to become a Dementia Friendly Community.
9. By running fund-raising activities and selling merchandise to finance our activities.
10. By campaigning on behalf of people with Dementia e.g. closure of public libraries and public toilets.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
The challenges to our objective of making Bristol “The Dementia Friendly City of the UK” are:-
• The size of the city (just under 500,000 people)
• Recruiting and training volunteers.
• Finding Web-site /Social Media support
• Building bridges with other care organisations/agencies
Launching the Bristol DAA
• We launched as a result of a public meeting on 9th July 2013
Roadshows across the city
Bristol city will be divided up into different areas and a roadshow will be held in each area every quarter.
- Planning, Delivery
We have already started and will continue to visits retailers, businesses and other organisations to raise awareness of dementia.
We have arranged fund-raising activities
Working in partnership
We have arranged dialogue between BDAA and other caring bodies (including the NHS) and any other interested organisations.