Memory Lane Club - Wimbledon
Memory Lane Club is a friendly lively social Drop-in for local residents with memory loss/dementia and their carers. Open every Wednesday morning for chat, music, bingo, snooker, refreshments as well as various other games and activities which change weekly - all in an informal and welcoming atmosphere. It aims to offset some of the loneliness and isolation experienced by carers of those with dementia through social interaction, fun and mutual support. For those with dementia there are varying activities providing stimulus, engagement and entertainment. Free entry.
- 25 June 2021
- Community organisations, Faith Groups, GP Surgery, Health, Care, Local DAA Members, Voluntary Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Merton Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- Support to carers by providing a safe space in which they feel welcome and understood, receive some respite from having to manage the person with dementia – and have some fun! Also provide opportunities for them to meet and interact with other carers and volunteers who have experience of the impact of caring for someone with dementia
- Support to those with dementia by actively engaging with them and encouraging them to join in a range of diverse activities which offer stimulus and entertainment
- Reduction in the levels of loneliness and isolation experienced by those with dementia and their carers by always being available on a weekly basis at a fixed time in a fixed venue – providing a dependable weekly ‘slot’ which they can look forward to.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Recruitment & retainment of appropriate volunteers
- Planning an appropriate programme of activities
- Raising awareness of relevant professionals in the field of the service available from Memory Lane Club.
- We will resume running regular social events for people affected by dementia and, where appropriate, continue to keep in touch with our service users during the pandemic.
• We will continue to forge links with local GP surgeries, the Merton Memory Clinic, the Merton Dementia Action Alliance and the Merton Dementia Hub to encourage the referral of relevant individuals between the various agencies.
• We will publicise the Dementia Friends programme and website to volunteers.