Fight Dementia and Care Organization,
Fight Dementia and Care organization is a dementia charity which operates in Tanzania mainland, recently, the charity became an Alzheimer’s Disease International member, its main offices are located at Mount Meru regional referral hospital, Geriatric department. it promotes awareness, training of health workers, training of family carers of People With Dementia, operates a memory clinic based at Mount meru regional referral hospital, provides dementia diagnosis, care and treatment, advocates for rights of people living with dementia, welcomes partnerships and collaborations with international institutions and organizations, carries out dementia research, lobbying for Tanzania dementia strategy and guidelines.
- 22 April 2021
- Local Alliances:
- Plymouth Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
- Training of health workers in Tanzania, in dementia diagnosis, care and treatment and training of family carers of people living with dementia.
- Dementia awareness raising both in the formal and informal sectors.
- Research into the causes of dementia, care and treatment and collaboration.
- Advocating and implementation of Dementia national strategy.
- Providing dementia diagnosis, care and treatment and post diagnostic support to People With Dementia.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Absence of a dementia strategy in Tanzania.
- Lack of funding to fund the entire organization work.
- Community ignorance about .
- No government support because dementia is not a national health priority in Tanzania.
Member websiteFight Dementia and Care Organisation.
Having a dementia strategy and guidelines in place.
This will help in making dementia a national health priority in Tanzania in return shall help to improve dementia care services in Tanzania.
- Investigating, Initial Scoping, Planning
Diagnosis, care and treatment
Improve dementia diagnosis, care and treatment by making sure that every elderly person can get a memory test as part of early diagnosis, care and treatment.
- Initial Scoping, Investigating, Planning
Creation of Dementia Friendly Communities in Tanzania both in rural and urban communities.
This shall involve awareness, training, promotion of healthy living and better aging, research, policy implementation, diagnosis, care provision(pharmacological and non pharmacological) supporting family carers of People with Dementia, post diagnostic support, community engagement, lobbying for rights of People with Dementia.
- Planning, Investigating