Age UK Trafford
Whilst we provide a range of services for everyone over 50, Age UK Trafford has been supporting people with dementia and their carers for over 20 years through a range of specialist services. We are also the voluntary sector lead on the local dementia strategy and its implementation. Our staff are highly trained and experienced in working people with dementia, and are committed to a person centred approach which enables people with dementia to maintain choice and control over decisions taken about how they live their lives.
- 6 November 2013
- North West
- Health, Care, Voluntary Sector
- Local Alliances:
- Trafford Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists seven outcomes that the DAA are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
Local role - We deliver direct services for carers of & people living with dementia and their carers including specialist and dedicated day care service; dementia advisers, care and telecare brokerage; benefits advice and claim support; information meetings and events; dementia awareness and dementia champion training; short breaks, social events. We work in close partnership with the local authority, CCG and Mental Health Trust (including memory service and the dementia crisis team), as well as other organisations such as Carers Centre and Alzheimer’s Society. We are the voluntary sector lead for the local dementia strategy and its implementation.
Nationally Age UK is committed to making life more fulfilling for all older people including those with dementia and their carers.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
- Raising public awareness and understanding of dementia
- Improving GP diagnosis and support for people with dementia and their families
- The stigma still attached to dementia
- Ensuring all professionals are aware of our services and the support available in Trafford for people with dementia
- The funding and resources to continue our work
Developing a dedicated dementia support centre
We are purchasing premises in which we wish to develop our own dementia support centre which will provide direct services to people with dementia and support to their carers
Further development of our health checks pilot
We ran a pilot health check programme for people with dementia which will not be further developed to support GPs with annual reviews of people with dementia
Continue to work with local business to develop a dementia friendly community
Continue to provide a range of training and awareness opportunities for local business to help support customers with dementia – including factsheets, short staff briefings, full day dementia champion training and ensuring awareness of our services and how to refer.