Home Instead Senior Care Harrogate, Ripon & Thirsk
We support older people living within their own homes and help them to remain as independent as possible and to continue to enjoy a quality lifestyle through unrushed visits from our highly trained, professional and compassionate caregivers who are carefully matched and suited to our clients.
- 14 October 2014
- Yorkshire and Humber
- Local Alliances:
- Yorkshire & Humber Dementia Action Alliance, Harrogate and Rural District Dementia Action Alliance
1. Action Plan
1. The National Dementia Declaration lists a number of outcomes that we are seeking to achieve for people with dementia and their carers. How would you describe your organisation’s role in delivering better outcomes for people with dementia and their carers?
We are rolling out our own Home Instead City & Guilds Alzheimer’s and other Dementias CARE (changing ageing through research and education) programme to all our caregivers. This training is also being rolled out in the form of family and community workshops in the Harrogate, Ripon and Thirsk areas.
The training focuses on understanding the disease, knowing the person behind the dementia and learning techniques to handle the many different behaviours associated with the disease. We hope to educate society and change opinions and views both on a local level and at a national level with the Home Instead network.
2. What are the challenges to delivering these outcomes from the perspective of your organisation?
Challenges we face include: To change the way people think and view those with dementia. To make them look at the whole person and to know the person, their life and their past experiences. To treat the person with dementia with respect and dignity at all times no matter what the behaviour.
To change the face of ageing through knowledge and education
We intend to change the face of ageing and the ever growing issue of dementia through:
- Training and education in the community
- Our dementia workshops based on our own city and guilds accredited training will be implemented and rolled out across the community reaching a variety of people and all of society.
- Workshops will be customised and targeted for caregiver, family and community.
- To plan a continuous flow of workshops throughout the year.
- To create positive and influential outcomes