Hadleigh Dementia Action Alliance
1800 Dementia Friends, 39 DF Businesses, 3 weekly Dementia-inclusive social activities supported
Hadleigh is a rural market town with a population of approx 12,000. The demographic area has been established to include several outlying villages that access the community and use the local facilities including G.P surgery.
In July 2014, two qualified nurses Roni and Heather from Allied Healthcare, with many years experience working with people living with dementia attended the Alzheimer's Show in Manchester. Whilst driving back down to Suffolk they were inspired to create a dementia friendly community in their local town of Hadleigh,where they both live and work.
As a first point of contact they met with their local community police officer, Matt Paisley and put their ideas to him. He in turn was very keen to take up the challenge and was pivotal in contacting local business people, community leaders, church representatives, members of the district council etc. From the positive response garnered they were able to form a steering group.
Current Steering Group:
- Chair: Phil Wells
- Secretary: Jess Janas
- Treasurer: Tracey Loynds - South Suffolk Leisure.
Hadleigh DAA held their first meeting in September 2014 and monthly since. The meetings are held at Hadleigh Leisure Centre. Terms of Reference were drawn up and the aims of the steering group established.
Future meeting dates:
- 12th June 2018
- 10th July 2018
- 8th August 2018
- To realise a dementia friendly community in Hadleigh using the recognition process , thus enabling organisations, local people living with dementia, carers and local business leaders to form a local dementia alliance.
- To share the work, make decisions about and prioritize the actions of the Alliance.
- To recruit members to join the Alliance through local networking, whilst monitoring and evaluating the work undertaken and the managing of Alliance finances.
- To help connect the community and ensure that the community is equipped to work co-operatively towards common goals.
- To agree upon and develop an action plan and create content for an Alliance web page.
- To engage with local people living with dementia, their families, friends and carers.
- To raise dementia awareness.
- To recognise and celebrate the successful actions of the Alliance.
Our excellent and busy champions have trained nearly 1800 dementia friends since we started.
As well as our dementia friends, we have 39 dementia friendly businesses and social groups all helping to make life easier for those affected by dementia.
We have also raised the funds to employ a facilitator to encourage and support local groups to run dementia-inclusive social activities. So far three groups run weekly, with 10 - 50 members.
To join Hadleigh DAA or for more information please contact: Jill Masonon:
- Mobile 07522935179
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Achieving Aspirations Community Interest Company
- Age UK Suffolk
- Ageing with Optimism
- Ainger Holbrows Ltd
- Allied Healthcare Group - Hadleigh
- Alzheimer's Society
- Anchor Trust
- Ansell Community Centre
- Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Council
- Barclays Bank - Hadleigh
- Boots - 91 High Street, Hadleigh
- East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- East of England Coop
- Elmsett Post Office and Stores
- Frost and Partners
- Gotelee Solicitors
- Hadleigh Baptist Church
- Hadleigh Boxford Group Practice
- Hadleigh Farmers’ Agricultural Association organisers of The Hadleigh Show
- Hadleigh Mobility Centre Limited
- Hadleigh Town Council
- Hadleigh United Reformed Church
- Hall Street
- Healthwatch Suffolk
- Hollow Trees Farm Ltd
- Ipswich Building Society
- Keith Avis Newsagents
- Magdalen House -Alysia Caring
- Mill Pharmacy
- Mung Bean
- Osteopathy in Suffolk
- south suffolk leisure
- St Elizabeth Hospice
- St. Mary’s Church, Hadleigh
- Suffolk Artlink
- Suffolk Family Carers
- Suffolk Mind
- The Hadleigh Ram
- The Hadleigh Thrift Shop
- Winch & Blatch Ltd